Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My addiction to the internet

This past week of finals has been rough an tiring...and it took a lot of time out of leisure to study. So, with my busy schedule, I decided to deactivate my facebook account to buy myself some more time for studying. Good idea? Not really.

Day 1.
The first day I went off of facebook, I felt free. Free from communication, free from status updates, and free from the troubles of my friends. I actually liked being off of facebook. It provided me with a lot more time for studying and for myself to just enjoy the sweeter things in life.

Day 2.
I started to feel lonelier and more nosy. I found myself wondering what so and so was up to, and what they were thinking, what they looked like, if they put those pictures of that party up yet, etc...This derived my first thought. I feel that a deactivation of facebook results in an isolation from the rest of the world. You no longer feel like you have a place in the world. You no longer feel like people are curious about what you are doing or what you are about. With this, day 2 felt like I didn't have friends.

Day 3.
Day 3 started out fine. I actually had stuff I needed to take care of and so I didn't notice my deprivation of facebook like usual. However, it was mid day when one of my friends asked me what I've been up to. they had said I hadn't seen you in days. I thought to myself...I hadn't seen this girl for months! Then I realized that she was referring to facebook. At that point in time, I felt like I had a genuine attachment to the website. With this website I create presence. People knew what I was doing when I was doing it, and why.

Undeniably, facebook has become a social tool in our lives; much like cell phones, instant messenger, and emails. If you are not on facebook, you are a no body...I found this out the hard way.

One of the most fascinating things I discovered about this class was my addiction to facebook. Had it not been for this class, I probably wouldn't have given my usage a second thought. Now, I see that facebook can be very dangerous and a clear breech of privacy.

Its been a great semester. I've learn a lot about the technology used in the past, present and the future. I really enjoyed listening to professor ferguson's perspective on a more diligent theory on our consumption and use of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment